N.Y.C.

N.Y.C.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Creativity and New Media

For this assignment, I decided to use a different form of new media that we have yet to discuss in class and that was video games. Online video games offer a rich community composed of people from all different walks of life, who come together to share their interests in the latest games and trends. In order to complete this assignment, I signed on to my X-box 360 and created a virtual avatar (similar to what you do Second Life).
                Although a little difficult, I attempted to make my avatar resemble myself as closely as possible. After this I began to play games and tried to meet as many new people as possible. After playing with a few different people, I began using a great tool by X-box that allows you to see players who you have recently played with and either message them or add them as “friends.” Soon enough, I entered a chat room through the video game system and began talking to a group of gamers. One of the members suggested I try a game called “Crash Course.” In the game you use your avatar to compete against others in a challenging obstacle course, the idea slightly resembles the popular show “Wipeout.”  


                In this game I was able to meet and talk to a number of different people, as well as see and compete against their personal avatars. Soon enough, I added them to my network of video game friends. We also exchanged Facebook and Twitter usernames, so we were able to connect through more than one medium. This assignment was a lot fun to complete and much different from anything I was used to, as it allowed me the opportunity to do something that I enjoy.  I was also fortunate enough to meet a number of different people who introduced me to new games, ideas, and upcoming events and trends. This is a perfect example of how social media fosters creativity, as it creates an environment where strangers can become friends and ideas and information may be shared, expanded upon, and passed to all.

3 comments:

  1. haha cool avatar. I see you matched your outfit as well. I had an avatar on my Wii but I can't find my console :( If I do, I think I will show my Wii avatar as well. you had a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok that avatar looks JUST LIKE YOU! And that game looks like a lot of fun. I usually just play Kinect: Dance Central. I wish there is an option to play Dance Central online with other people.

    ReplyDelete