N.Y.C.

N.Y.C.

Friday, April 1, 2011

About my PROJ


                I am glad to say that I have almost finished my 10 page term paper for this class. I just need to proof read and make sure everything is how I would like it to be. It was pretty interesting to write this paper, which I titled “Facebook: The Good and The Bad.” I learned a lot about the site, as I detailed the positive and negative consequences that the social networking giant has had on society during the past seven years.  Most of my research was performed through Google and the Baruch Library’s database website. By doing this I was able to find many relevant articles and journals related to my subject. Fortunately because I chose such a popular topic there was no shortage of information. I believe the hardest part of obtaining different sources, was actually sorting through and reading all of the material to see which ones actually helped support my ideas.
                I was actually able to learn a lot that I did not know about a site that I visit multiple times a day. For instance, I now understand how companies and business can successfully use Facebook as a cheap and efficient source of marketing and public relations. Also a fun fact I discovered, is that many people were originally against the idea of the streaming Facebook news-feed. I found this amusing, because the thought of removing it today seems absurd. I was also able to find out a lot more about the benefits that the site has contributed in terms of communication and building relationships, while discovering that it could also be detrimental to communication and social skills as well.

                I chose my topic, because like six-hundred million other people, I have a Facebook account that I log onto frequently. I thought it would be interesting to learn more about something that I have spent so many hours on during the past couple of years. My major finding was that although Facebook has helped to bridge the gap in communication across borders, it has caused numerous problems in both school and the workplace, while at times taking a toll on the intimacy and closeness of one’s physical and personal relationships in the real world. 

                My paper contributes to the field of “new media,” because it helps demonstrate that although new media and advances in technology have provided an innumerable amount of benefits to society, they also have their downsides. I learned that new media and Facebook can be a very powerful tool if used correctly, but in my belief should be used in moderation like all good things.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree it causes a problem in personal relationships in the real world because we're all focused on an online social networking which can hinder the emotional bond that we may gain if we interacted face-to-face. But in the end, it is a good way to catch up on old friends and keep up to date socially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I think people need to learn how to balance the pros and cons of Facebook.

    ReplyDelete